So, what exactly is the Ketogenic Diet anyway? At its most basic level, the Ketogenic Diet is all about science (which is why so many people are enjoying its effectiveness!). By tapping into your body’s natural food processing system, the Ketogenic Diet actually supports healthy digestion and converts your body’s natural food storages into energy. The result? Faster weight loss, increased energy, and even mental clarity! If you’re still a bit skeptical, let’s break down the science some more:
Going Keto really involves incorporating these two simple concepts into your everyday routine:
- Cutting down consumption of sugars and carbohydrates
- Increasing consumption of healthy fats
- When you rely on carbohydrates and sugars for the bulk of your diet, your body begins to produce glucose and insulin for a quick spurt of energy
- As these quick fixes wear off (otherwise known as the dreaded “carbo-crash” or “sugar crashing”), you crave more sugar and carbohydrates, thus beginning this nasty cycle all over again
- When your body relies exclusively on sugars and carbohydrates for energy, it never has an opportunity to tap into its fat stores (aka those love handles you hate when looking in the mirror!)
- Conversely, when you cut out sugars and carbohydrates from your diet, your body goes into a natural state called “Ketosis”
- During Ketosis, your liver starts to produce ketones that break down the fats that are stored throughout your body
It’s especially important to note that the Ketogenic Diet is not about starving yourself just to lose weight. Quite the opposite in fact, going Keto allows your body to tap into the natural fat stores that it is biologically intended to use for sustained energy. Think of it this way: millions of years ago, our bodies were never intended to sustain solely on candy bars or ginormous servings of pasta. By feeding ourselves these quickly-digestible foods instead of those that convert into ketones, we’re actually doing our bodies more harm than good in the long run!
So, what can you eat on the Ketogenic Diet? Here are just a few of the ingredients you’ll find packed in this go-to cook book, all of which are Keto-friendly!
- Low-carb vegetables such as asparagus, broccoli, spinach, and cauliflower
- Lean meat and poultry
- Coconut oil
- Greek yogurt
- Cottage cheese
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Nuts and seeds
- Butter and cream
- Unsweetened coffee and tea
- Dark chocolate and cocoa powder
That’s a whole lot of options, huh?! And what’s more, that is just the tip of the ingredient iceberg, when it comes to the endless possibilities of Keto cooking!
Who Can Benefit From ‘Going Keto’?
We’ve touched on the basic science behind the Ketogenic Diet, but what exactly are the health benefits associated with this innovative new eating program? Let’s break it down a bit, shall we?
One of the biggest perks to going Keto is weight loss. When your body stops relying on fast-absorbing compounds like sugars and carbohydrates, it has an opportunity to actually “eat” the fats it naturally stores throughout your body. As these fat stores are depleted, you start to lose fat and, you guessed it, pounds! When combined with an active lifestyle of exercise, you can see pesky fats melt away and replace them with muscle!
The Ketogenic Diet is especially beneficial for anyone that has tried desperately to lose weight in the past, only to be met with minimal results and frustration. The Ketogenic Diet is also an excellent weight loss solution for folks who want to learn how to eat a healthy diet and avoid the added costs of many weight loss programs. After all, all you need to start living the healthy lifestyle of your dreams is this cook book, an Instant Pot™, and a trip to your local market!
Controls Blood Sugar
Recent research also suggests that the Ketogenic Diet can help to control your blood sugar! This is especially great for anyone suffering from diabetes, and has been found to be particularly helpful for those with a Type II Diabetes or Pre-Diabetes diagnosis. This perk makes a lot of sense when you think about it, since the most basic premise of the Ketogenic Diet is all about reducing sugar intake and lowering the production of glucose and insulin!
Increase Focus and Mental Clarity
One of our favorite perks of going Keto has to be the mental clarity that comes with ditching those fast-absorbing carbohydrates and sugars. Think about it, how many times have you found yourself sitting at your desk at 2:30 p.m., hours away from calling it for the day, only to feel that foggy, comatose feeling after the sandwich you indulged in for lunch? This feeling is so common, in fact, that society has dubbed it “the 2:30 feeling!”
Luckily for you, there is no need to resort to unhealthy pick-me-up’s like coffee or energy drinks on the Ketogenic Diet. Since your body is relying on ketones for its energy supply, you’ll find that you no longer crash in the ways you once did with sugars and carbohydrates. Instead, you can enjoy increased mental clarity and focus! This is great for anyone living a busy or hectic lifestyle, who wants to sustain energy regardless of how many conference calls or PTA meetings life may throw in your direction!
with so many tasty and hearty meals to choose from, you’ll probably start wondering how you ever lived without this dynamic duo all this time! Looking for a few tips to make the most out of your new Ketogenic Diet and Instant Pot™ lifestyle?
Check out our tried and true tricks below:
- Meal Planning: Want to save time during the week? Give meal planning a spin! On Saturday or Sunday, whip up a few of your favorite Instant Pot™ and Ketogenic Diet recipes, divvy them up into a few reusable containers, and store them in the freezer. That way, a warm, healthy, home-cooked meal is just a few minutes away – every week!
- Plan Ahead: If you will be eating out at a restaurant or a friend’s house (as we all do!), plan ahead so you have a few Ketogenic-friendly options picked out! You’ll be hard-pressed to find a restaurant without a decent chicken and veggie dish, so don’t stress!
- Get Creative: Cooking is fun, after all! With so many different cuisines and recipes to choose from, we encourage you to try out a few new dishes along your new, healthy journey. Who knows, you just might find a new go-to favorite in the process!
What Sets The Ketogenic Diet Apart From Other Eating Programs?
We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again: the Ketogenic Diet is all about learning to live a healthy lifestyle! Unlike most fad diets that promise extreme results from the comfort of your couch, the Ketogenic Diet actually trains you to enjoy healthier ingredients that are free from sugars and carbohydrates. Over time, you’ll notice that those dreaded sugar cravings become a thing of the past and your body will crave healthy fats instead!
Another perk of the Ketogenic Diet is its cost-saving structure. Unlike pricey diets that require you to attend meetings or enroll in a monthly auto-shipment of pre-portioned foods, everything you need to start living a Keto lifestyle can be found in this book and with a quick trip to the market. We always recommend using organic, non-GMO, and local ingredients in these recipes, all of which which support your local farmers and taste better than any pre-packaged produce you may find in the freezer section of your grocery store!
Finally, the Ketogenic Diet is great for the entire family. Unlike other fad diets that can be dangerous for your children, the Ketogenic Diet uses natural, hearty ingredients that you can rely on, when cooking for your precious loved ones.
Embracing the Ketogenic Diet is about so much more than eating: it’s about making and re-making a commitment to yourself to live the happiest and healthiest lifestyle you can for years to come. Whether you need to switch up your diet for health reasons or just want to look fabulous in your bikini on your next vacation, the Ketogenic Diet is an approachable way for dieters of all experiences to start living a healthier life.