Scrambled Eggs with Cream Cheese Avocados are rich in healthy monounsaturated fats and packed with antioxidants. If you’re looking to up your ratios, increase to half an avocado per person. You’ll add 60 calories, another 5 grams of fat, and 5 of fiber.
The best way to tell if an avocado is ripe is to gently squeeze the base of the fruit in the palm of your hand. It should still be firm yet yield to gentle pressure. To ripen an avocado, place it inside a brown paper bag with a couple of pieces of fruit, like a banana or apple. The fruits naturally exchange ethylene gases inside the bag, which causes them both to ripen. Once ripe, refrigerate the avocado.Print
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño chili, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 can (14 to 16 ounces) tomatoes
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 ripe medium avocado, pitted, peeled, and cut crosswise into thin slices, for garnish
- Serving Size: 8
- Calories: 310
- Sodium: 217g
- Saturated Fat: 10g
- Carbohydrates: 2g
- Fiber: 0
- Protein: 13g
Keywords: Breakfast Keto, Keto Breakfast,Scrambled Eggs,Scrambled Eggs with Cream Cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a 2-quart nonreactive saucepan, heat the oil on medium-high. Add the onion, garlic, and jalapeño and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes with their juices and the salt; heat to boiling over high heat, breaking up the tomatoes with the side of a spoon. Reduce the heat; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a 10-inch skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Break 1 egg into a small cup and, holding the cup close to the skillet, slip the egg into the skillet; repeat with the remaining eggs. Reduce the heat to low; cook slowly, spooning the butter over the eggs to baste them and turning the eggs to cook on both sides, until the egg whites are completely set and the egg yolks begin to thicken but are not hard.
3. Place an egg on each plate. Spoon 2 tablespoons tomato sauce over each. Top with some sour cream, sprinkle with cilantro, and garnish with avocado slices. Serve with the remaining tomato sauce.