Now these Ranchin’ Short Ribs are ranchin’ done right.Print
- 5 lbs bone in short ribs about 14 ribs
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 bacon slices cut into 1 inch pieces
- 4 large shallots quartered
- 4 carrots peeled and cut into 3 inch pieces
- 2 ribs of celery chopped
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 star anise
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme plus more for garnish
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup dry Sherry
- 2 tbsp packed brown sugar
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups low-sodium beef broth
Season short ribs generously with salt and pepper and set aside.
Set Instant Pot to Sauté.. Add bacon and cook until lightly golden, about 5 minutes. Remove bacon and set aside, leaving bacon fat in pot.
Working in batches, sear ribs on all sides, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Set aside.
Add shallots, carrots, celery, red pepper flakes, and garlic, and cook until vegetables are slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Add star anise, thyme, and tomato paste and stir until fragrant, 1 minute. Add sherry, bring to a simmer, and use a wooden spoon to deglaze bottom of the pot, 3 minutes.
Turn off Sauté function and add brown sugar, Worcestershire, vinegar, broth, ribs, and cooked bacon. Season with salt, then secure lid and set to Pressure Cook on High for 45 minutes.
Let pot naturally release pressure for 15 minutes, then carefully complete depressurization using quick release.
Keywords: instant pot pressure cooker, instant pot recipe, instant pot recipes, instant pot ribs, instant pot ribs recipe, instant pot ribs recipes, instant pot short ribs, pressure cooker recipes, short ribs recipe